Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pork Roast and Sauerkraut

We come from a German family and have grown up with TONS of German cooking. I've made a pork roast before, I don't know why I never published the recipe. It's so easy and within 15 minutes you have dinner cooking in the crockpot and the headache of making dinner at 5:00 is all taken care of for you.

Ingredients:

1 pork roast
1 jar of sauerkraut
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large apple (any color)

I brown the meat before putting it in the crockpot. It gives it a nice flavor. I season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and minced garlic.

Once all sides are browned I put it in the crockpot and covered it with the sauerkraut & apples.



Then I seasoned with caraway seed and sugar and that't it! You are all done. Set it on low for 6-8 hours and dinner will be ready when you get home from work! So Easy!!!!

3 comments:

  1. This looks really good! How do the apples do in the slow cooker? Do they break down or just soften up like potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on how long the apples are in there. I cooked this meal yesterday for 10 hours because it was a LONG day, by the time we were ready to eat they were super soft. If you want them to stay a little more firm, add them half way through the day. I just forget to do stuff like that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pork is my favorite meat. I use it alot. But I dont know about the sauerkraut...does it cook away?
    ps...I think you need a bigger crock pot!! =)

    ReplyDelete