Thursday, September 8, 2011

Guinness Stew

Ok, so I don't always make foods based off the season. To me, food is food no matter if it's supposed to be a fall, winter, summer or spring type meal. I just love to eat. I made this for my husband because he has a passion for beer. I found a recipe online and then tweaked it to my liking. I hope you give it a shot, and if you do, let me know how it turned out for you!


Ingredients:

• 6 red potatoes, skin on, quartered
 carrots, peeled, sliced into thick chunk

• 2 stalks celery, cut in chunks
 bay leaves
 3 lbs stew meat, cubed 
 1/2 cup flour
 1 dash salt
 1 dash pepper
 1 dash garlic powder
 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
 1 medium onion, diced
 4 large garlic cloves, minced
 8 ounces mushrooms, halved
 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
 10 3/4 ounces beef broth 
 1 (13 g) envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
 1 teaspoon dried thyme
 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
 1 teaspoon creole seasoning 
 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning 
12 ounces beer (Guinness, draught or stout)
 Directions:
Put potato, carrot, and celery chunks in the bottom of crock pot. Top with 2 bay leaves.
Season flour with a dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder and coat the beef with the flour mixture. Heat a couple of tbsp of olive oil over med-high heat in a large skillet and add 1 bay leaf. Sauté beef in batches, just until browned.
Add onion and garlic to the same pan and sauté over med heat for a few minutes, then add about half the can of beef broth to deglaze, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
Add meat and onions to crock pot, top with mushrooms.
 Mix remaining beef broth with tomato sauce, onion soup mix, remaining seasonings, and add to crock pot. Pour in bottle of beer.
 Cook 8 hours on low heat.
Enjoy! I served it with slices of french bread! Sorry that last picture didn't turn out well. I was hungry and didn't have the energy to remove the flash. 
Stay tuned for a new recipe for stuffed chicken breast wrapped in bacon. Oh man...this one was delish! I am making red beans, quinoa, bell peppers and turkey sausage tonight. I will let you know how it goes! 






No comments:

Post a Comment