Thursday, March 17, 2011

Steak with Mashed Sweet Potatoes

It was one of those days where you have perfect weather and you want to stay outside as long as possible to soak up the sunshine and warmth. I LOVE those kinds of days!

Dinner Menu:

Steak
sauteed mushrooms and onions
chopped spinach
mashed sweet potatoes


Starting with the sweet potatoes, you cook them almost the same exact way you cook regular potatoes. Sweet potatoes tend to be a lot harder, so pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften them up. I learned this lesson the hard way and one day I cut my finger and had to get stitches. Needless to say, it took a while for me to get the courage to cook with sweet potatoes.
 Once the sweet potatoes are finished cooking (should be fork tender) drain them. I use coconut oil and a tad bit of butter when I am mashing them. I have used just milk and butter. I don't add salt, just because I don't think it needs it. You will know what you like best.
 Got 2 steaks put on the grill. I grill each steak for 7 minutes each side. Make sure your meat is room temperature before putting it on the grill to ensure it cooks evenly.

 Here is the finished product. I cooked up a frozen package of chopped spinach as well as sauteed onions and mushrooms in olive oil and garlic. 
It was delicious. Mike and I barely got any of the mashed sweet potatoes because Mason kept eating off our plate. He LOVES mashed sweet potatoes. 

Here is my little partner in crime. He is trying to eat peas with a fork. Even I can't do that! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Mason is a doll =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there sweets! I changed my domain name a couple days ago & it seems as though all my readers need to re~follow my blog. Pretty bummed. If you have a minute, I would love if you re~follow me to stay in tune =)
    ~Angel @ www.thislifeissweet.com

    ReplyDelete