Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Austrian Beef Goulash

My sis and I grew up eating this awesome meal that our Mutti (Great G'ma) would make when she would come to visit the family from Germany!  This is the first time I have ever attempted to cook this, and to my surprise it was super easy!


Ingredients:

  • 4 large onions, chopped small
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 5 oz (10Tbsp) Hungarian paprika..I didn't have "Hungarian" style paprika, so I used a "sweet" paprika
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1 tsp dried marjoram
  • 1 tsp caraway seed
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 clove of garlic, diced
  • 3 lbs of beef chuck, cubed
  • salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

In a large heavy pot, cook the onion in the oil over medium-low heat until soft and golden.  Add paprika, and mix thoroughly.  Next, add the water, and the remaining seasonings.  Simmer uncovered for an hour.  Add the beef, and simmer until the beef is tender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment